On the 27th March ANCLAS ran a very successful policy forum entitled “Latin America and Australia: much more than the TPP”. This was the first of six forums to be held in 2018 to discuss a number of topics that are common to both Latin America and Australia. The panel for this session was made up of:
- His Excellency Mr Patricio Fernando Powell Osorio, Embassy of the Republic of Chile
- His Excellency Mr Eduardo Patricio Peña Haller, Embassy of Mexico
- His Excellency Mr Miguel Julian Palomino De La Gala, Embassy of the Republic of Peru
- His Excellency Dr Ricardo Javier Varela Fernandez, Embassy of Uruguay
- Dr Anthea McCarthy-Jones, UNSW, Canberra
- Ms Annemarie Watt, DFAT
In addition nearly all of the Latin American ambassadors based in Canberra were in attendance. The panel discussion and questions from the floor made for a very interesting and enlightening evening that was enjoyed by all.