Summer school for secondary school teachers - January 2015
The European Union after 2014: A New Vitality, or Missed Opportunities?
Summer school for secondary school teachers
20–22 January 2015, Melbourne, Australia
2014 is a year of remarkable change for the EU. It has a new Parliament, it will have new Presidents of the European Council and of the European Commission, it will have a new Commission (even if some of the faces are the same), and a new High Representative. It has commenced a new budget period and is on the verge of having a Banking Union - of sorts… What does this mean for Europeans? What does it mean for us, and for the Asian region?
A three-day intensive program for teachers of
- Global/international politics
- Social and cultural studies
- European languages
The 2015 European Studies Summer School offers a unique opportunity to engage with diverse expert speakers on topics that complement secondary school curricula.
Day 1 - Welcome to the EU, 2015 onwards!
Day 2 - Opportunities in specific fields
Day 3 - Europe and Australasia: encounters and engagement
Participation is free for all teachers from Australian and New Zealand secondary schools.
The themes covered include
- A crash course in European institutions: the who, what and where of how the EU operates
- What does the EU stand for in the new world?
- Does the EU still matter, can it overcome its democratic deficit?
- Do Australia and New Zealand want closer ties with the EU?
The program features interactive sessions with senior academics and practitioners, interdisciplinary approach, and multiple case studies with potential for incorporation into the classroom setting. Excursions to cultural institutions are included. A detailed program will be available in late 2014.
Partners of this event are:
- European Union Centre at RMIT
- European Union Centres Network, New Zealand
- ANU Centre for European Studies
- EU Centre for Shared Complex Challenges, University of Melbourne
- with support from the European Commission
Limited travel and accommodation bursaries are available for interstate or country travel.
To view the flyer for these events please see: The European Union after 2014: A New Vitality, or Missed Opportunities?