FAQ: Applying for Honours at SPIR

The Honours program is administered by the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences. Most questions may be answered by reading their FAQ here.
For FAQs specific to the School of Politics and International Relations, see below.
How do I find a supervisor?
Check the ANU Researcher website to find an academic undertaking research in a field that you're interested in.  You'll need to check with the individual School about potential supervisors.  All Schools have an Honours Convenor that can help you with this step. A list of potential supervisors at SPIR can be found on the SPIR website
What should be the format of the thesis proposal? How long? What to include?
This will vary from school to school so you need to check with your Honours Convenor. At SPIR the honours thesis should not exceed 17500 words. The precise format of the thesis may vary depending on the subfield and the methodology employed. Students are advised to consult with their thesis supervisor to ensure that they are following an appropriate format.
Is it possible to apply for both Honours in Politics and International Relations?
Currently the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) program has one specialisation called Politics and International Relations so you cannot apply to undertake honours separately in these disciplines.
How long should the Honours thesis be (in words)?
See the Honours and Masters Guide. At SPIR the honours thesis should not exceed 20 000 words. The word count does not include front matter or the bibliography.
I took a methods class already, can I be exempted from the methods class?
Each honours program has set coursework that students have to complete. These courses will give you the skills and techniques you will need to undertake your research and write a successful thesis. These have been carefully selected by the discipline areas and are unique to honours programs. In the rare case where you have completed a course in your undergraduate degree that is identical to a course prescribed in your honours program, you may request exemption through your supervisor and Honours Convenor. Students accepted into the honours programme at SPIR are required to complete the methods class. There are no exceptions to this requirement.

Updated:  29 January 2018/Responsible Officer:  Head of School/Page Contact:  CASS Marketing & Communications